Significance of the Name


My Blog’s name is a tribute to my Dad & my Husband. My Dad because he used to sing the song to me, "How 'd You Like to Swing on a Star?" It's about reaching for your dreams, you can stay where you are & be safe OR YOU CAN SWING ON STAR. Stars also refer to a difficult night just after my husband died. I was talking to him (I often do.) & said how I missed his "I Love You's". That night he gave me a dream... a gorgeous, bright blue night sky filled with thousands of stars, in the middle the stars formed an "I LOVE YOU"....such a gift on so many levels.

So "follow your own path, & don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest”

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Go for it, quit letting it intimidate you!

So after about 15 years I decide I am going to go back to my "roots" and try a painting. 
It was my concentration in college....oil painting that is.
Since Fred died I have had to learn to do so many things that intimidate me. So far figuring finances (dear God how I hate numbers), running our tractor mower, the blower, power washing the deck and even cleaning out the gutters for a few. Well if I can do those things why not an acrylic painting? 
So off to Michael's with my 40% off coupon I went.
So there it was...a 2'x3' wrapped canvas. 
It might have well as been Mt. Rushmore, honestly!
Nothing is more intimidating for a creative person than staring at a blank canvas, a blank page or whatever beginning of a creative project it is.
Dawn, from The Feathered Nest, a blog I have been following for years just spoke about this on her lovely blog:
She is the kindest most giving person and does beautiful things with vintage pieces.


 She had just purchased a melting pot for beeswax to use on a piece. She spoke about how she had put off trying the new process like me.
I felt like, thank God, I am not the only person who continually puts off her creative pursuits until after the wash, the cleaning or whatever because we get intimidated. I thought well what a relief, I'm not the only one...another lesson learned!

Ok now what subject, well, I love flowers and I love painting iris's and I had done a tromp l'oell iris mural for a client  that I loved doing so there was my subject. That is only the beginning...so many decisions....colors, composition, size and more. 
Let the sketching begin....

At first I thought a collage type approach using vintage sheet music. But I decided to keep my first adventure on the simple side, but I am definitely pursuing this collage concept later especially since I got so many positive reactions to these posts on my Facebook. (Thank-you MJ, Heather and Debbie)
Somehow I always am happier with the sketchy first stages of a painting. I often dislike all the painterly midway steps. Maybe I should listen to that.

I love the look of pencil, charcoal and paint.
Now I can't seem to put it down and work late at night...remember I have a job too so time is limited.So after weeks of work I think it have decided I need to stop and call it finished.










So there it is after 15 years, I've completed an acrylic painting. It is hanging in my great room for now although I may sell it, I don't know. So if you are procrastinating something that may be intimidating you, I hope you go after it and pursue your passion. Don't let the everyday obligations prevent you from going for it. 




























Hope you enjoy the links:
The Common Ground

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful success! Your painting is lovely and I do think you should keep it for yourself. It can be a wonderful reminder to just go with your instincts. Have a lovely weekend, maybe another painting? XO

    ReplyDelete