Significance of the Name


My Blog’s name is a tribute to my Dad & my Husband. My Dad because he used to sing the song to me, "How 'd You Like to Swing on a Star?" It's about reaching for your dreams, you can stay where you are & be safe OR YOU CAN SWING ON STAR. Stars also refer to a difficult night just after my husband died. I was talking to him (I often do.) & said how I missed his "I Love You's". That night he gave me a dream... a gorgeous, bright blue night sky filled with thousands of stars, in the middle the stars formed an "I LOVE YOU"....such a gift on so many levels.

So "follow your own path, & don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest”

Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Friend's Repurposing Inspires a Little Spontaneous Creativity

Polish The StarsSometimes creativity can be such a struggle and other times it can be so spontaneous. 
I LOVE WHEN IT'S SPONTANEOUS!!! 
I have a friend MJ who does needle work among many other creative pursuits.
I noticed she kept her needles in this repurposed vial. 
It was an empty shampoo container from a hotel.....she travels a lot!
 It was a very clever way to repurpose. 
But this is how it looked........

It definitely needed "a little somethin...somethin"!
So the creative wheels started turning.
I asked if she could part with it for a short time, brought it home to my studio. 

I tea-stained some paper and the rest just unfolded!
 Since MJ likes to garden and loves flowers there was no question that I had to use a floral motif. So I painted these Morning Glory flowers, added pen and ink and some crystals.






I added some craft paper on the lid and ribbon. 
I then finished it with a vintage button (with a crystal) to the top of the lid.
What Fun!

I was so excited to give it to her. 
She loved it.
It would be fun to do more, I love when art is spontaneous....when it just flows.

I would love to make more of these and will have to find a source for more of these vials. If you know of  a source please let me know.

I think we should do more things spontaneously. It seems whenever I do I get a different kind of result. The vintage bangles (HERE) I did were done that way. 

Jump off cliffs and build your wings on the way down.

~ Ray Bradbury


5 comments:

  1. I love this project - especially your beautiful artwork. I order glass and plastic bottles/tubes from SKS Bottle. Here is their link:
    www.sks-bottle.com Hope they have what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this looks just lovely. I have just done somethings a little bit similar and love up-cycling materials. Hope you can pop over to elle and Lou and check it out!
    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea...I'm always on the lookout too. I had pliers in hand tearing the lid off of an insulin bottle. These little glass bottles are so cute, but I haven't decided what to do with it yet....I'm following so I can share ideas. Stop by anytime, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very cute and such a nice gift. The button on top is the perfect touch. I'm a new follower. Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I so appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete