Significance of the Name


My Blog’s name is a tribute to my Dad & my Husband. My Dad because he used to sing the song to me, "How 'd You Like to Swing on a Star?" It's about reaching for your dreams, you can stay where you are & be safe OR YOU CAN SWING ON STAR. Stars also refer to a difficult night just after my husband died. I was talking to him (I often do.) & said how I missed his "I Love You's". That night he gave me a dream... a gorgeous, bright blue night sky filled with thousands of stars, in the middle the stars formed an "I LOVE YOU"....such a gift on so many levels.

So "follow your own path, & don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest”

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Can you guess what I repurposed to make this pillow??


A Cashmere Sweater!!

I had this favorite cashmere sweater my dear Mother-in-Law gave to me long ago. There were some holes at the very bottom, but I just couldn't part with it.
Inspiration struck after a Nate Berkus appearance on some show giving me this idea.....make it into a pillow!!!


Ok I have a sewing machine which certainly does not qualify me as a seamstress. 
 Let me be VERY clear.... I do NOT know how to sew!
 I long ago I read the directions to thread and do the bobbin and had experimented from time to time, done some simple stuff, that's about it.
 I want to tell you I was VERY intimidated by trying this and as a result procrastinated for several months.  

Wait the supreme motivator was coming.....company!!!!
How many of you have done this??  
We should just entertain when we have home projects to complete, right?


By the way I posted about this chair before. A Kittlinger Chair I bought at an auction for like $25.00. I love the finish and lines. I just found this fabric and am going to have the seat covered with it.  Hey, my can do attitude can only go so far, friends!!! 
Sometimes we must recognize our limitations and pull out the big guns....and I know this project as a limitation!!!


 It may be a bit wonky, but I love that I went for it. 
I tucked turtle neck inside the bottom and seamed across it, then trimmed it off on inside. Those of you who are experienced at this may be shaking your head, shame on you don't laugh!
 But hey, it was my uneducated plan of attack.
Sewed the bottom edge down for the top, added velcro 
so I can open it up.
Tied the sleeves across the middle.


 Finally I took my Grandmothers Beautiful Vintage Pin and placed it on the knot.
Perfect that the color matches the accent colors I am using in my new digs.
I have a half a dozen of these pins I love using in different ways...wait this may just be another post!


It's funny how we just keep on learning things no matter how old we are, or sometimes we are again reminded that sometimes you just have to jump in and do it!!!


Loved Sharing this with you all, hope you enjoyed...

Shari


5 comments: