Significance of the Name


My Blog’s name is a tribute to my Dad & my Husband. My Dad because he used to sing the song to me, "How 'd You Like to Swing on a Star?" It's about reaching for your dreams, you can stay where you are & be safe OR YOU CAN SWING ON STAR. Stars also refer to a difficult night just after my husband died. I was talking to him (I often do.) & said how I missed his "I Love You's". That night he gave me a dream... a gorgeous, bright blue night sky filled with thousands of stars, in the middle the stars formed an "I LOVE YOU"....such a gift on so many levels.

So "follow your own path, & don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest”

Sunday, November 13, 2011

A gift from the heart........

FIRST AN APOLOGY......I haven't posted in a while, but there has been a lot of drama in my household over the past weeks and I just couldn't make time or concentrate on a post. I said to a couple of friends of mine what Tillie said in the movie, Guess Who's Coming To Dinner ......"All Hell has done broke loose here!" 
Life just sometimes gets in the way as you all know.


Now, AT LAST, to my post.....
Last summer I once again was in a quandry about a birthday gift. This time it was for a neighbor across the street. Why was it such a quandry? Because this couple (along with my other wonderful friends) had been so supportive during my husband's illness, death and my life afterwards. They have included my daughter and I in holidays and family activities. My daughter has always been close to their children growing up. 
We are loved by both of them. 
Believe me, when I am scared and worried about how I am going to deal with the many things a widow has to face it is so good to know I can look across the street and see their lights on and know there is a safe haven of love and support there. 
So when I can I like to give them a gift from the heart....


These are my dear friends, Mel and Gretch. 
Aren't they cute?

Mel loves pictures of little houses among other things. After much thought I decided to do a painting of their charming home in minature. I snuck over one sunny day when they were not home and snapped dozens of pictures. I decided to turn the color photo into black and white and hand paint it, allowing me to be much more precisely accurate.


This is their charming home...so warm and friendly to many.
Sorry it's on a slant, but it was the only way I could include those 2 beautiful trees.
 I downloaded it into Photoshop Elements and cleaned it up and turned into black and white. Printed it onto good paper and hand painted it in acrylics. 

 As I began painting, it was very nerve racking because as one area turned out the way I wanted it I was stressed that I would make a mistake in another area and have to start all over again and then would it turn out like I wanted it!
But I really loved doing this!

Then off to Michaels for framing....don't you just love those 60% off coupons!!!
It was fun choosing the frame and matting... although I think I drove the framer there crazy experimenting, Ha!

This is what I ended up with.....
The actual size of the frame is 15"x18"
The actual acrylic painting is 5 1/2" x 3 1/2".......remember she likes them in minature.
 I did several mats so that the framed picture had some presence.

My close-up Mr. DeMille......

I was so excited to give this to Mel I could hardly stand myself. I don't have a picture, but I wrapped it in a large sheet of wall paper I made into a large envelope to slip it into and placed a vintage chandelier crystal to dangle from the point.
When she opened it we both cried....

"The heart of the giver makes the gift dear and precious." 
Martin Luther

Hope you enjoyed my gifting experience. 
Have you had a difficult gifting experience? Did you make a gift from the heart?
I'd love it to have you share your experience in a comment.

Have a gifted day, Shari!

If you are interested in having one of these done, please contact me in a comment or by clicking on my Etsy Link, My Transformations at the top of the left column of my blog.
Or just click here: My Transformations



I'm happy to share these links with you:

1 comment:

  1. This is such a sweet post.The gift is amazing! Enjoy your holidays = )

    ReplyDelete